Place of work: Save Vietnam’s Wildlife (SVW), Cuc Phuong National Park, Ninh Binh Province, Vietnam
Line managed by: Executive Director
Expected starting date: As soon as possible.
Duration: 01 year, with the possibility of renewal.
Probation period: 3 months
Salary: To be discussed
Holidays: 12 days annual leave following Vietnamese Labour law, plus 10 national holiday days.
Hours of work: eight (8) hours per day and 5 days/week. All of the animals within the centre are nocturnal and it is expected that the employee will work during the evening to monitor similar activities. Any overtime will be accrued and time given off in lieu.
Others: Save Vietnam’s Wildlife will:
- provide an airfare to Hanoi, and airfare to home country after completion of contract or, if extending, at end of position.
- cover cost of the position visa while in Vietnam.
- cover travel for work and food in the field.
Scope of work:
- To manage and improve captive husbandry ensuring that animals are kept in a safe and humane manner.
- To assist the Save Vietnam’s Wildlife Management board on developing a funding strategy.
- To provide SVW staff training on animal management and husbandry to improve captive animal welfare.
- Day to day involvement in the management of husbandry within the SVW rescue centres.
- Developing and maintaining the internationally important Conservation Breeding Program.
- Assisting the captive management team to monitor animals’ health and welfare
- Training for Captive Management Team in handling animals, cage inspections, assessing health/body condition.
- Assisting the management of an on-going Environmental Enrichment program within the centre.
- Developing live food production to enhance the diet of animals within the centre.
- Assisting in developing the new updated visions of husbandry guidelines and quarantine protocols.
- Providing technical support to the zoos and rescue centres in Vietnam (who cooperate with Save Vietnam’s Wildlife) to ensure high animal welfare standards by assisting with husbandry management.
- Assisting in developing a long-term funding strategy for Save Vietnam’s Wildlife and fundraising for Save Vietnam’s
- Wildlife activities and subsequent donor reporting.
- Finding the donors/donation resources to fund for captive team;
- Assisting on the development of the Education Centre for unrealisable carnivore and pangolin individuals maintained in captivity in Cuc Phuong National Park.
- Developing the improved animal management and husbandry protocols.
- Planning and giving check list for works monthly/weekly/daily for team and each staff; Supervise, remind the staff’s work performance and evaluate the staff;
- Preparing the yearly/monthly budget for captive team to submit to Director;
- Developing relationship with partner/other conservation network.
Qualification/ Education/ Knowledge:
- At least a bachelors in biology, ecology, wildlife conservation or a related topic
- Employed within a captive wild animal facility
Experience/ Abilities/ Skills:
- Experience in working in a captive wild animal facility
- Proven experience and expertise in enrichment and animal management (you will be working with a wide range of species)
- Experience of working in or with charity/NGO/voluntary sector
- Experience of working internationally or on projects with international application
- Broad understanding of conservation issues in South-east Asia
- Experience working overseas, ideally in developing countries
- Experience working with or in rural communities
- Experience working in a young, multinational team
- Experience in project planning, including budget management and monitoring and evaluation
- Experience writing technical scientific/grant/proposal or donor reports in English
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in partnership with key stakeholders and sustain strategic partnerships
- Ability to effectively manage staff and physical resources
- Patient, good humoured, and positive
- Dynamic and able to adapt quickly
- Pro-active and independent learner
Candidates please send your application including Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter in an email with title “Apply for Husbandry Advisor” to address: [email protected] before 20 May 2022
Deadline: 20 May 2022
Phone number for contact: +84 (0) 2293 848 053