Start date: March 2021
Positional name: International Technical Advisor (Law Enforcement)
Duration of contract: 2 year, with the possibility of renewal
Probation period: 3 months
Line managed by: Executive Director
Overall responsibilities: To provide technical and direct support to SVW’s conservation research team, with a focus on the organization’s growing portfolio of projects on combating the illegal wildlife trade. Funded projects include activities aimed at reducing wild meat consumption in Nghe An province, as well as illegal snaring inside key sites of SVW. The primary focus of this role is on developing capacity within SVW’s Vietnamese team to implement these activities. This will include supporting the development of grant writing, donor reporting, and technical reporting skills in the team.
- Developing the use of SMART enforcement in Protected Areas in Vietnam, including the use of SMART profiles
- Working with external technical consultants on a behavioural change project, focused on wildlife consumption
- Supporting biodiversity monitoring activities, including systematic camera-trapping in National Parks
- Assisting in the analysis of SMART enforcement data, the combating illegal trade data.
- Helping to develop policy briefs and similar public-facing materials
- Assisting with donor reporting
- Identifying training opportunities and workshops for Vietnamese staff and assisting with applications
- Identifying grant and fundraising opportunities
- Working with Vietnamese colleagues to develop successful grant applications
Qualifications: At least a bachelor in biology, ecology, wildlife conservation or a related discipline
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience designing or implementing interventions against the illegal wildlife trade
- Experience using SMART enforcement tool in protected area management or site-based enforcement
- Experience working overseas, ideally in developing countries
- Experience working with or in rural communities
- Experience in project planning, including project design, budget management and monitoring and evaluation
- Experience writing technical scientific or donor reports in English
- Fluent in English
- Patient, good humoured, and positive
- Dynamic and able to adapt quickly
- Pro-active and independent learner
- Strategic thinker
- Broad understanding of conservation issues in South-east Asia
- Ability to use GIS and R
- Experience in camera-trapping in the tropics
- Understanding of how to manage wildlife crime data and information
Gross-salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Annual health insurance and one return economy ticket home per year.
Accommodation fee: about 1000 USD per year (at Cuc Phuong National Park)
Food fee: about 6 USD per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
Holidays: 12 days annual leave following Vietnamese Labour Law, plus 10 national holiday days.
Hours of work: 8 hours each day and 5 days/week. Any overtime will be accrued and time given off in lieu (TOIL).
How to apply: Applicants are requested to send their Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter addressing the position criteria to [email protected]
Application deadline: 31/01/2021
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Phone contact: 02293 848 053