Start date: March 2021
Positional name: Science advisor
Duration of contract: 2 years, with the possibility of renewal
Probation period: 3 months
Line managed by: Executive Director
Overall responsibilities: To provide technical and direct support to SVW’s conservation research team, with a focus on the organization’s growing portfolio of projects on researching endangered species, combating the illegal wildlife trade, and conservation activities. Funded projects include activities aims at studying the population status, species presence/absence, threats, species ecology of threatened species (Java pangolin, Chinese pangolin, Owston’s Civet, and so on) at targeted sites in Vietnam. Involving on social behaviour change project aims at reducing wild meat consumption in the country. Supporting the research team in order to analysis the data and produce technical reports, publications. The primary focus of this role is on developing capacity within SVW’s Vietnamese team to implement these activities. This will include supporting the development of grant writing, donor reporting, and technical reporting, publications skills within the team.
- At least Master in biology, ecology, wildlife conservation or a related discipline
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Proficient in technical reports, donor reports, peer review papers writing/submitting
- Proficient in English
- Proficient in presenting in English and experience in controlling the workshop
- Experience in analysis software: R, QGIS, ArcGIS, MaXent or equivalent
- Experience in studying species behavior, ecology, distribution, survival rate (release animal) are preferable.
- Experience designing or implementing interventions against the illegal wildlife trade
- Experience in analysis/present/modelling data in species occupancy, species ecology, species distribution modelling, spatial analysis in GIS regarding habitat lost, vegetation cover change, potential suitable habitat for releasing animal.
- Experience in field research in tropical rain forest is preferable.
- Experience working overseas, ideally in developing countries
- Experience working with or in rural communities
- Experience in project planning, including project design, budget management and monitoring and evaluation
- Patient, good-humoured, and positive
- Dynamic and able to adapt quickly
- Pro-active and independent learner
- Strategic thinker
- Track record on fundraising and proposals
- Track record of any publications and reports
- Broad understanding of conservation issues in South-east Asia
- Ability to use GIS and R
- Experience in camera-trapping, radio tracking in the tropics
- Understanding of how to manage wildlife crime data and information
- Skills on writing papers, reports, proposals
Gross-salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Annual health insurance and one return economy ticket home per year.
Location: Cuc Phuong National Park, Nho Quan District, Ninh Binh Province, with considerable time based in SVW’s main field site, Pu Mat National Park, Nghe An province.
Accommodation: about 1000 USD per year (at Cuc Phuong National Park)
Food fee: about 6 USD per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
Holidays: 12 days annual leave following Vietnamese Labour law, plus 10 national holiday days.
Hours of work: 8 hours each day and 5 days/week. Any overtime will be accrued and time given off in lieu (TOIL).
How to apply: Applicants are requested to send their Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter addressing the position criteria to [email protected]
Application deadline: 31/01/2021
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Phone contact: 02293 848 053